Pedro (Petie) Montero
5 years with the Dodgers as a coach.
Worked with his mentor Reggie Smith for many years.
Played Independent Professional Baseball.
Former Fire Fighter.
You do not hear it discussed much on baseball podcasts but critical for the strength of a defense, Cut-Offs, and Relays.
Coach Caliendo talks about his week in Ukraine working with players and coaches. Plus Othani breaking a hitter’s bat and picking up the broken part to give back to the player.
- The Dodger way.
- How to teach this and get players to remember it on several different levels.
- How to take the throw.
- Going from a player to coaching on the Dodger staff.
- Growing up a Dodger fan as a kid.
- His dad came from Cuba at 18, what he learned from him that is helping him in coaching.
- His mentor is Reggie Smith, one of the best coaches in the business, what he has learned from Reggie.
- Steve Yeager has been a mentor, things learned from Steve.
- Asking players questions is so important, why?
- We tend to help the really good players, need to work with the ones struggling.
- Let them play, explain.
- Walk them through situations? Show them on a screen?
- Using charts and cards on defense and so much more.
Web Site: www.baseballoutsidethebox.com