Baseball in China is exploding and MLB International is helping create the grass roots level, academies and so much in China. Chinese players love the game of baseball.
Rick Dell MLB International General Manager Baseball Development, Asia at MLB has been heading up programs for 15 years in China. Rick and Coach Caliendo have known each other since around 1985 when they were both coaches on the first ever USA Baseball Coaches Envoy program to Italy. That program later was USA Baseball/MLBI and then MLBI. Later they worked at the Beijing Olympics, World Baseball Classic and the Dodger/Padre game in Beijing.
Rick Dell coached college baseball for 27 years at the College of New Jersey and has worked all over the world developing the game of baseball. This is a very interesting discussion which many countries can learn from developing the game at the grassroots level as well at the top levels. Coach Dell has been in the game 42 years and has a vast knowledge of the game development worldwide.
- Ricks college coaching career.
- How he got involved in MLB.
- Early on going into China and the experience.
- Setting up academies.
- Working together with Chinese officials to bring baseball development into China.
- Growing the game in China.
- Interesting things he learned early on to help develop the game in China.
- Developing players in China long term.
- National Team program.
- Coaches training.
- Handling the language barrier.
- Chinese players in MLB.
- Development centers.
- Fields in China, some on roof top.
- Importance of student athletes/baseball players.
- University/High School programs.
- MLB developed professional, national team, college players.
- Ricks experience in other Asian countries.
- Winning not focused in MLB Chinese baseball programs, why?
- And so much more to this discussion.
Your Host Peter Caliendo
You Tube at Peter Caliendo
Face Book at Peter Caliendo
Twitter @baseballout and @petercaliendo
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS